People asked me what are my new year resolutions. I’ve never made a new year resolution and had no plans to make any for 2018. However, I’ve had a pretty challenging 2017 as I’m sure many others have. Yes, I try my best to stay upbeat and positive when I blog so some may think I’m living this fabulous life. (Hmmm, I think I’ve blogged about that before.) Well, life is good as I always say when I sign off, yet life is challenging.
With the ups and downs of 2017 and the recent loss of individuals in my life and family, it brings to mind the saying about not waiting to tell people how you feel. That brings me to my 2018 New Year resolution. I’m going to tell the most important person in my life, my son Jaden, the ten things I love about him.
Jaden has never been a momma’s boy. We don’t always get along. When I blog about the time we spend together, you don’t get the struggles that we have in this mother-son relationship. Yes, at times it is a struggle. However, this blog will stretch me to do the one thing that I have learned, as a leader, is my area of opportunity: Encourage the Heart. If you don’t know what that means, Kouze and Posner’s, The Leadership Challenge, dedicates an entire chapter to this concept. It’s so important, they went on to write an entire book about encouraging the heart. I hope that by telling Jaden the ten things I love about him, it will encourage his heart.
Here it goes!
- Jaden, I love your #kindness. From the time you were in elementary school, your kindness was evident. Not only did your teachers and principals speak to it, I witnessed it. You held doors open for women and for the elderly, and you still do. I’ve seen you help stranger with their grocery bags. You were a helper when no one asked you to help. You have alway been kind and I know you alway will be.
- Jaden, I love your expression through the written word. I remember reading your #StarWars prequel for school a couple of years ago. That’s when I really began to pay attention. Your writing is intriguing, thought-provoking, and creative. I’m still waiting for you to finish that story! I wish I could read more of your writing. I really do enjoy it.
- Jaden, I love your #smile. Your smile is special. I know I’ve harassed you for years about dental hygiene with those braces. It’s paid off! 🙂 You truly do light up a room with that smile and personality though.
- Jaden, I love your sense of #humor. You are one of the funniest people I know. Your sarcasm and quick wit never ceases to amaze me. Even when the #nurse was dropping a tube down your throat in the hospital and you were throwing up like nobody’s business, you managed to keep a sense of humor. I really was laughing WITH you!
- Jaden, I love your #passion for #reading. Keep filling your mind with knowledge, creativity, and perspective. It will benefit you more than you’ll ever know.
- Jaden, I love your consciousness for #socialjustice. My heart rejoices when you call or text me about a current event and share your thoughts and/or perspective. It brings me joy to know that you are #woke !
- Jaden, I love your openness to people and cultures. You have surrounded yourself with a variety of friends from so many backgrounds. You were open to learning and experiencing new things when you went abroad. Those experiences will continue to shape your views as you grow into adulthood.
- Jaden, I LOVE your LOVE for music. I may be out of touch with the new stuff but you try your best to keep me “hip”. Thank you! You don’t know how many times I chuckle in the car when my playlist goes from @KendrickLamar to #DeanMartin. It’s just that stamp that says, “Jaden was here”.
- Jaden, I love your new found love for #photography. You have taken some magical photographs. Thank you for sharing your vision and your eye with me. I can’t wait for you to share it with the world.
- Jaden, I love that you are my son.
I hope that those of you reading this will take a few minutes to tell someone important to you what you love about them. Encourage their heart, it may be the thing that inspires them and keeps them going.
Living life and it’s good and I declare 2018 will only get better.